CSX and Mississippi
- Operates over and maintains more than 130 miles of track*
- Maintains more than 180 public and private grade crossings in Mississippi
- Handled nearly 276,000 carloads of freight in Mississippi during 2011
- At the end of 2011, CSX employed more than 60 people in Mississippi
- Throughout 2011, CSX reported more than $6 million in compensation for employees** in Mississippi
- In 2011, CSX invested more than $1 million in its Mississippi network. In addition, the company invested more than $948 million in freight cars and other rolling assets to serve customers through its rail system
- CSX carries a variety of commodities important to our economy and way of life, including consumer products, automobiles, food and agriculture products, coal and chemicals. Products shipped in Mississippi include textile chemicals, packaging paper, liquefied petroleum gas, and plastics
Environmental Advantages of Rail
- CSX achieved its voluntary 8% greenhouse gas emissions intensity reduction goal one year ahead of schedule. This achievement reduced emissions by more than 1.5 million metric tons of greenhouse gas – equivalent to consuming more than 3.5 million fewer barrels of oil.
- Since 1980, CSX has improved its fuel efficiency by more than 90%, and with constant innovation, freight rail becomes more efficient every day.
- In the past 10 years, CSX has invested more than $1.75 billion to upgrade its fleet of fuel-efficient locomotives.
- CSX introduced a carbon calculator on www.CSX.com that makes it easy for customers and consumers to understand the emissions savings that freight rail delivers.
- On average, railroads are three or more times more fuel efficient than highway transportation.
- Shifting 10% of long-haul freight from the highway to the railway would reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by more than 12 million tons and would increase fuel savings by nearly one billion gallons each year.
CSX and the Community
- CSX is a National Leadership Sponsor of City Year, a non-profit organization working to enact positive change in schools and communities throughout the country. CSX executives and other employees routinely donate their time and energy to community outreach programs organized by City Year.
- In 2011, CSX contributed thousands of dollars to national organizations and those in Mississippi, including National Safe Place, Alliance for Community Trees, the Nature Conservancy, National FFA Foundation, local schools and community organizations.
- CSX is proud of its 150-year history of service to America’s military. One in five CSX employees has served in the armed forces.
Passenger Rail Operations
- Amtrak operates approximately 64 trains per day over 34% of CSX's railroad in every state except Tennessee, New Jersey and Delaware.
Improving Public Safety
- CSX works with community partners year-round to improve track and grade crossings and close crossings where possible. These initiatives greatly improve safety across the CSX network.
* Miles of track includes single main track, other main track, yard tracks and sidings as of December 31, 2011.
** This figure includes current and former employees.
Printable version (PDF)